Saturday, September 27, 2014

Fall is Here with Maple Leaf Nail Art

*Some products were sent to me for testing and review, completely complimentary, from Barielle. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Hello lovelies!! More nail art? Yes, I'm really trying to get back into doing my nails and how can you possibly paint nails without doing some pretty nail art?


I bring you maple leaf art for fall. I actually did these on the first day of fall but things have been busy so this post got pushed back.


I was given the opportunity to test and review a few Barielle products. At the time, I had this idea in my head for a fall mani so I requested Dinner at 8 (red), Hawaiian Sunset (orange), and Lemondrops (yellow). All perfectly beautiful fall shades!



I started out with 2 coats of Lemondrops and used some cheap Dollar Store bought eyeshadow applicators to lightly sponge on some Hawaiian Sunset, Dinner at 8, and some green China Glaze Holly-Day. Build lightest to darkest as you don't see the lighter colors as well over dark as you do the other way around! In some places I sponged and then used a clean side to sponge over it again - especially the green as this gives it a slightly watercolor smudged look that works perfectly on the maple leaf idea. A little clean up and you have a perfect base for this mani.



I applied top coat over this and waited for it to dry completely.




While I waited (and being extra careful not to ruin my mani) I used my Silhouette cutter and some handy sticker vinyl to cut out some maple leaf shapes in various sizes for my nails.




Once my nails were completely dry - I repeat completely dry - I applied my homemade maple leaf vinyls. I positioned them much like choosing the swirl in a watermarble ... over the best sponging. ;) Once I had them where I wanted them I painted over the entire nail with China Glaze Holly-Day. If you aren't comfortable painting over the entire nail you can simply sponge the green over the entire nail and clean up any mess. Just be sure to get in good around your maple leaves. You want nice, sharp lines. Also, if you really don't feel comfortable doing peel off vinyls you could totally leave the vinyls on and simply add top coat over them.




It was much simpler than I thought to use a pair of super sharp tweezer while the green was still slightly tacky, grab a leafy corner, and peel the vinyl right off leaving behind a perfectly fall colored maple leaf on each nail.




Add a layer of top coat and you are set. ;)


A note about wear - it was excellent! I did this mani Tuesday and loved it so much I wanted it to last until Saturday so I could wear it to the local potato festival. I honestly didn't hold much hope because polish just doesn't wear well for me anymore. Mixing polish and running Spellbound Nails opens up a ton of chances for me to get splattered with polish or chip a brand new mani. BUT! This mani lasted not just until Saturday but with only minimal tip wear (and one minor splatter on a thumb). And I reallllyyy didn't go easy on them either. I mixed polish as usual, put together a new entertainment center, did some major fall cleaning, and went about my business. Seriously, forgive the phone pic (taken this morning before heading to the festival) but just look at those tips. A little touch up and another layer of top coat and I could wear these for at least another few days if not longer! Many thanks to Barielle for letting me try their must be magic polishes.


Links to Barielle
Instagram (because what is life without Instagram?)

Until next time,
Ashley

*Some products were sent to me for testing and review, completely complimentary, from Barielle. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

5 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I actually pushed my face up against the screen and was all "How'd she do dat? Holy spankmuffins, I can't believe she did that! SO AWESOME!"

    I actually like both versions, the black leaves on the background and the negative space with the green surround. Obviously the green surround is made of 110% more win than anything I've seen out there lately, but they are both awesome. Thank you for sharing this! It totally made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! I may steal it from you, with credit of course 😜 Just lovely execution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks so pretty. The colors go perfect together and the final effect is amazing! I need these kind of vinyls in my life!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been disabled for the time being. I love talking to you lovelies, and I can't always do that if I'm forced to moderate every comment. I'm really hoping not to have to bring comment moderation back so ... please don't spam the blog?