Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Dalek Rule This Galaxy

The Dalek Rule This Galaxy


nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer


I mentioned on my Facebook page last week that I was doing my first galaxy nail. I also mentioned that I had to put my own spin on them. I left you all in the dark on just what kind of spin. Well, it's a Doctor Who spin. Most of you probably won't recognize the Doctor Who reference, but I hope you enjoy the nails anway. I thought of using the Tardis but I decided to go the road less traveled and do a Dalek ... or maybe just Dalek inspired since it's not a perfect replica.


nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer


What galaxy is complete without a Dalek or two? None, I tell you, none! The Dalek nails aren't something just anyone would recognize, but it's a nice in-joke among fans. I'm just curious, how many of you recognized the nail right away or got excited when you read the title?


nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer


Some of you may recognize this gold nail from last post's Golden Twilight nails. Not only is the color Bold Gold ... it's the same nail! I took off the Twilight Rays color but kept Bold Gold. It has held up very nicely, hasn't it? I just added the Born Pretty gold nail studs and a few layers of top coat to keep them in place. The nail studs are a great match in color for Bold Gold and make for a near perfect Dalek!


nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer


I was utterly terrified of doing galaxy nails after hearing all the horror stories, but I think these turned out really well being my first try and all.


nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer


I decided to use a creme black for space but stuck to shimmer polishes for the galaxies. The stars dotted on are a white creme. I also used this white for the galaxy base. The galaxies are made up of shimmer yellow, orange, and peach for the lighter shades and a deep shimmer metallic purple and a shimmer blue for the darker shades. I used a purple glitter, a blue holo glitter, a silver holo glitter, and a simple fine glitter for the stars not dotted on. It was all very shiny and glittery!

nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer

I couldn't resist bringing out my blue/white light and seeing what they looked like under that. I think it was one of my better ideas to use only shimmer and glitter polishes.


nails nail art polish manicure mani Dalek Doctor Who Galaxy stars glitter shimmer gradient eyeshadow applicator brush sponge
Image from Alibaba.com


For those looking for simpler solution to using a sponge, whether for galaxy nails or gradients or any other nail where a sponge would come in handy, use an eyeshadow applicator. I found this worked so much better for me than any kind of sponge. Not only did I pick up a pack of 12 (60mm) applicators for cheap at my local dollar store, I had better control while using them. They are made to fit in your hand so they keep a wet mani intact while you do the opposite hand and are small enough to move around your entire nail easily. I can also use and reuse these. For these nails, I only used one side of an applicator! Not even the front and back of one side, just one side.


So, what do you guys think of galaxy nails? I know I will definitely be doing these again! 


Polish Used
LA Colors - Black
Sally Hansen - White On
Pure Ice - Unzip Me
Pure Ice - Twinkle
Revlon - Tangerine
Funky Fingers - Power Chord
China Glaze - Blue Year's Eve
L.A Girl Glitter Addict - Eutopia
Funky Fingers - Flashing Lights
Wet n Wild - Kaleidoscope
LA Colors - Glitter

11 comments:

  1. I recognised the darlek from the thumbnail on my feed! Love it! These all look so good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You've just become one of my favorite people for recognizing it and from a thumbnail too! ♥

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! Were they a first try? I'll definitely have to be rocking these nails soon!

    Alice

    www.SecretsOfAWannabeCharlotte.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were my first try. Rock them girlie! Galaxy nails are great since each one turns out unique. :) I would love to see how yours turn out!!

      Delete
  3. Nice! Love the accent finger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m totally doing this for when I go to the Doctor Who experience! love´em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I would love to see them when you do them. :) Doctor Who rocks!!! You are so lucky to be going to the Experience. ♥

      Delete
  5. So clever! You're a nail expert. Thanks for the tip about the eye shadow applicator. I've been looking for a way to Who my galaxy nails, and this is it! What did you use as the Dalek skirt bumps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I'm really happy I could help. :) I used Born Pretty Store 3mm gold studs. If you decide to order them for yourself you can use the code MLE10W21 for 10% off your order. :)

      http://www.bornprettystore.com/gold-stud-rhinestone-acrylic-nail-p-3345.html

      Delete

Comment moderation has been disabled for the time being. I love talking to you lovelies, and I can't always do that if I'm forced to moderate every comment. I'm really hoping not to have to bring comment moderation back so ... please don't spam the blog?