Monday, June 25, 2012

Quidditch is Dirty Work

Today's post is my very first Harry Potter mani. I have dozens of Harry Potter designs sketched in my nail art book, but I've never felt confident enough to complete any. So, when I was completely stumped on what to do with my nails last week I figured it was past time to do something Harry Potter.


nail art nails mani manicure Harry Potter Gryffindor Slytherin Ravenclaw Hufflepuff Hogwarts Houses striped Golden Snitch wings red gold green silver yellow black blue bronze


I went through all my sketches and realized I didn't want to do any of them. I thought briefly about doing something for each book but there are seven books ... too many for one hand and too few for both. I could have also done something for my favorite parts of the books but ... well, I have too many. :)


nail art nails mani manicure Harry Potter Gryffindor Slytherin Ravenclaw Hufflepuff Hogwarts Houses striped Golden Snitch wings red gold green silver yellow black blue bronze


I finally settled on Quidditch as my inspiration. When I think of a Quidditch uniform all I can think of is stripes. I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the Hogwarts striped ties. I tend to imagine the house colors as stripes now. And as all the muddy Quidditch training in the books tells us Quidditch is a dirty job! With this in mind I sponged on some deep brown over the uniforms to create a muddy, dirtied look.


nail art nails mani manicure Harry Potter Gryffindor Slytherin Ravenclaw Hufflepuff Hogwarts Houses striped Golden Snitch wings red gold green silver yellow black blue bronze


Last but not least ... what Quidditch game is complete without the Golden Snitch??


Polish Used
Hufflepuff: Pure Ice Excuse Me & Beauty Concepts unnamed shimmery black
Slytherin: Sally Hansen Emerald City & Sally Hansen Celeb City
Gryffindor: Maybelline Bold Gold & Wet n Wild I Red a Good Book
Ravenclaw: Bon Bon Blue & Petites Bronze Baby
Snitch: Revlon Blue Lagoon, LA Colors White, Maybelline Bold Gold, Wet n Wild Goldmine, Funky Fingers Platinum Record, and a mix of black and white to create the gray used for outlining the wings.


Before beginning this mani I used 2 coats of white polish on all my nails so I could get the brightest colors possible.

4 comments:

  1. The one who does a Harry Potter mani is the one who owns my heart! This is brilliant! I also linked your blog in my most recent post on galaxy nails as I got my inspiration from your amazing Dr Who nails! Here's the post: http://secretsofawannabecharlotte.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/notd-galaxy-nails.html :D

    Alice

    http://secretsofawannabecharlotte.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a heart! ♥ I love hearts. :) You can totally have my heart too for doing such a stunning galaxy nail and for the link back!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic and creative!
    We're sharing this with our Whimsic Alley community.
    Cheers!
    W.A.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been disabled for the time being. I love talking to you lovelies, and I can't always do that if I'm forced to moderate every comment. I'm really hoping not to have to bring comment moderation back so ... please don't spam the blog?